Building a more sustainable New York starts with building more sustainable communities. With funding from NYSERDA (New York State Energy Research Development Authority), Cornell Cooperative Extension of Delaware County is working with all of the towns, villages, and the county of Delaware to move them towards energy saving practices.
Local governments in Delaware County and across New York State can use the Clean Energy Communities program to implement clean energy actions, save energy costs, create jobs, and improve the environment. In addition to providing tools, resources, and technical assistance, the program recognizes and rewards leadership for the completion of clean energy projects.
HIGH IMPACT ACTION ITEMS
Local governments must complete four of the following 10 High Impact Actions to earn a Clean Energy Community designation:
- Benchmarking – Adopt policy to report the energy use of municipal buildings
- Clean Energy Upgrades- Achieve 10% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from buildings
- LED Street Lights – Convert street lights to energy efficient LED technology
- Clean Fleets – Install electric vehicle charging stations or deploy alternative fuel vehicles
- Solarize – Undertake a local solarize campaign to increase the number of solar rooftops
- Unified Solar Permit – Streamline the approvals process for solar
- Energy Code Enforcement Training – Train compliance officers in energy code best practices
- Climate Smart Communities Certification – Get certified by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
- Community Choice Aggregation – Put energy supply choices in your community’s hands
- Energize New York Finance – Offer energy upgrade financing to businesses and non-profits
Once designated, there are eligible for grants of up to $250,000 dollars for projects that reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions.
Here is a list of communities that are participating in the Clean Energy Communities Program:
- Town of Meredith
- Town of Hamden
- Town of Franklin
- Town of Middletown
- Town of Hancock
- Town of Colchester
- Town of Andes
- Town of Delhi
- Village of Walton
HELPFUL ENERGY RESOURCES
- Clean Energy Communities Program Overview
- List of designated communities in the State of New York
- Map of designated and participating communities in NY
- Plugshare (Find out where you can charge an electric vehicle)
IS YOUR COMMUNITY INTERESTED?
Want to know more about the program, who is designated, and how to encourage your community to get started, or, if they are are already on their way and how you can help?