Foodborne illness can strike anyone. Some people are at a higher risk for developing foodborne illness, including pregnant women, young children, older adults and people with weakened immune systems.
Food safety is a big concern following an emergency situation, here are some helpful PDF fact sheets:
- Flood Contaminated Foods
- Safety of Canned Foods that have been Frozen
- Safety of Frozen Food During a Power Outage
- Safety of Refrigerated Food During a Power Outage
- Food That Has Been in a Fire
- Preparing Food During a Power Outage
- Food Safety When the Power Goes Out
- Other Emergency Resources
On a day-to-day basis, be sure to minimize your risk by following these important guidelines:
- Wash your hands and surfaces often
- Don’t cross-contaminate – Keep meat/poultry away from ready-to-eat foods like fruits/vegetables.
- Cook food to the proper temperatures
- Refrigerate promptly